Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Carrot Cake Waffles

As much as I love waffles, I realized that I had very few recipes for them. CK and I are such fans we usually share a weekend morning making them over Skype while sipping Moka Pot coffee and gaming. It’s something we do while together and being long distance, feeling connected and loved.


I wasn’t much of a pancake or waffle person growing up. Perhaps it was the overtly sweet batter or the mushiness made by too much syrup. Perhaps it was my body telling me that I wasn’t eating something nourishing for my body with all of the processed box batter crap in every bite.

When I started making breakfast foods myself, in particular oatmeal, pancakes, and waffles, I could feel the difference immediately. I learned that I wasn’t really a fan of maple syrup as a primary factor of taste and sweetness; rather, I preferred mashed banana in the batter, and topping them with fresh fruit, peanut butter or preserves. I found that I really did love oatmeal, pancakes, and waffles, and the assortment of gluten free flours out there can off thousands of variations for one recipe. It was a matter of experimenting and being adventurous, accepting that some won’t be perfect and raving over the ones that are.


I tend to be bold in my recipes; as in, I usually don’t make “plain” waffles. They do not have a consistent flour combination, although the recipe has a 1:1 flour to liquid ratio and the same amount of eggs. Beyond that, I use different fats, sweeteners, and spices, along with various additions depending on what fruits or veggies I have on hand.

This recipe is a stick to the ribs sort of waffle. It is filled with protein and healthy fats, with a slight sweetness that isn’t overtly so (just as I like it). The batter is thick and definitely cakey, which is relevant considering the recipe’s inspiration.

Carrot Cake Waffles

1 Large carrot (< 195 g), shredded
40 g Walnuts, finely chopped, plus more for topping
2 Eggs
240 ml Whole milk
1 Tbsp. (21 g) Honey
30 g Olive oil
80 g Chestnut flour
80 g Garbanzo bean flour
40 g Buckwheat flour
40 g Flaxseed meal
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 tsp. Ground ginger
1/2 tsp. Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Sea salt

Preheat the waffle iron as instructed, and set aside the shredded carrot and chopped walnuts.
Blend separately the wet (eggs, milk, honey, and oil) and dry ingredients (flour, spices, and leavening agents), and then mix together along with the carrots and walnuts.
When the iron is heated, use a pastry brush to lightly oil the plates.
Pour the desired amount of batter (able a ladle’s worth) onto the griddle and cook.
Repeat the brushing of oil and the waffle making until all of the batter has been used.
Serve warm with your favorite toppings (honey-sweetened cream cheese, for example).

Makes 8 Waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment